Thursday, June 30, 2005

Proud of becoming employee #4

I have my department feedback today….I try to ask my peers and employee feeling. Are they proud? What make they proud?

Everyone said they are happy to be in my department and they are very proud to be here. I certainly don’t know in which level their feeling is…but here is some of their thought. One person is happy and proud because this place give him enough room to grow, enough room to “raise the bar”. It is a words that he use to describe “make thing better, and extraordinary”. So for some people make a contribution and being rewarded for that is one way to make they proud. Give attention to them and make them realize how valuable they are is the way to keep this kinda person happy and proud. Be carefull not to lead them proud to themselves or their jobs, but rather to have proud to their company that recognize them and respect them.

Other person said they feel happy and proud because they have a role model in this company. One thing that come up into my mind is that how we as a leader become their perfect role model? To make them proud the important thing is to feel proud yourself. Do you feel proud of your company? Do you feel proud that you worked for this company? Do you feel proud that you work with these guys? If you feel so, than I think one requirement for being a role model is done. Of course that you need more than feeling proud to become a role model. But feeling proud yourself is a good start. Be carefull if their role model is someone that have an opposites characteristics compare to you……remember that people doesn’t leave company, people leave their manager.

Another person that I met today said that one thing that make they proud to be in my department is vision. Many books / statements may be has told us how to create a great vision, “Big Hairy Audicious Goals” for example ? But one thing that cross in my head this afternoon is how we need to communicate it this vision to them. How to make them feel that this is also their vision, their dream. If they already feel that then is up to your vision, if your vision is great enough then I think that they will also proud to become an employee in a company that have such a great vision. Vision is one thing, implementation is another thing. A great vision must be follow by a great actions.

Visit my blogs at : http://smartminerva.blogspot.com/

No comments: