Monday, September 26, 2005

Singapore experiences

Last week I went to Singapore on business purposes. This is the first time I go outside of Indonesia, so believe me you’re gonna read so much about my experiences here. First impressions of this country is hilarious, wonderful and amazing. So what is the thing that make think that way? And what is the thing that we can learn from it?

Discipline & Order – one thing that amaze me most. I’m really surprise to see them queing, no one and no sign is being put there to say that they must queue. But they do actually. And the results is orderness. No heavy traffic jam, since every driver know how to drive well and every pedestrians know how to cross the street without causing a traffic jams. So I wonder, could we Indonesian, start from myself could copy this discipline and make the environment around us a little bit better place to work and life? Could we start with something small like : put the trash on its places, start meeting on time, cross the street using manner, not to smoke in public, give a way to other people while we’re driving? I know it would feel like hell if we do that in Indonesia, but do you….I mean YOU want to make your surrounding a better place to live and work?

Customer oriented – Like I told you previously that going to singapore is the first time. So there are so many experience there that are new for me. Like how to get to the MRT, how to buy the tickets, how to walk around there, etc. But amazingly everytime I need to ask something and I’m looking around…blast there you go the answer is put over a sign / billboard. For some of you who may be it’s an ordinary thing, but for me it’s amazing. Because I know that how do they prepare to do that? They think and feel like a customer (a tourist in this circumstances). So they try to think & feel how the tourist will start losing their way, and they put something to help them there. So it make a really nice place to go to, since you don’t get confused easily. So, do you put yourself in your customer shoes everytime you do your jobs? Do you think and feel like them? Or do you just assuming that they will know that, or that they will come to you at the end if they don’t know that? If you like to make you customer happy, then you should think like them and feel like them. Hire them if required.

Get dizzy with big thingSingapore (compare to Indonesia) let their people dizzy with many other thing, and not many small thing like : traffic jam, security while we are walking in the street, polutions, smoke, public transport, etc. They let their people focus on their job and life by making all this “small” thing gone. Do you do that while you are working? Do you let your people, your subordinates, busy with many small things that are non-productive? Or do you provide all the thing that they required so that they could focus on their jobs, instead of many @*&!#(&#(! Kinda stuff J

Do it fast – They walk fast, they talk fast, they think fast, they anticipate fast, they work fast…do you?

Well I don’t really remember all the thing I got from there…actually I start to forget, that’s why I spend my time to write it down. May be next time if I remember anything else I shall write it down again, c u later on. Have a nice day.

No comments: